The Orange Pill Bottle of Change

After a recent yearly check-up and blood work, my doctor, who had warned me about my cholesterol last year, prescribed me a daily dose of Lipitor.  However, I didn't have to take it if I could prove in three months that I could lower the cholesterol on my own with diet and exercise. 

It was that moment in the office when I was weighed that I realized that it was more than a few pounds I had added in the past year since I had been there.  I had been delusional about the weight, thinking that gravity was just readjusting where my fat was on my body.  No, apparently, the fat had been packing on and packing on.  The fat had packed its bags and had moved into my body like a squatter for the long haul. 

Here are my excuses:  I was happy last year.  I was in love.  My Mr. Frank and I just wallowed in each other and restaurant dining. 

But the truth of it was that I was just filling my pie hole with food with abandon.  Extra cheese?  Yes, please.   Appetizer?  Yes, please.  More Cucci's bread and sauce?  Yes, please.  Ice cream run?  Yes, please. 

Here I am, the person who said she wasn't making resolutions, the girl who said her body image was just fine, the woman who was happy with how things were - staring down the orange pill bottle of change.   Now, it is a competition to me to show that doctor.  Watch me show her how I don't need her stinking pills.

So in response, I made baked chicken.  Okay, with bacon.  Oh, and brown sugar.

Stay tuned for the exciting appointment with the doctor in April where she awards me my prescription. 

Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken
   Source:  around the web and inspired by a friend's husband who makes something similar and sends to school for us to snack on. 

1 pkg. of chicken breast tenders
bacon slices
garlic powder
chili powder
salt and pepper
brown sugar

Make yourself a little assembly line:  Chicken laid out on a cutting board/plate.  Spices to sprinkle. Slices of bacon already separated for easy handling.  Shallow bowl with brown sugar.  Greased 9x13 baking dish (olive oil / cooking spray).

Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Wrap each piece of chicken with a piece of bacon.  Roll in the brown sugar.  Place in baking dish. 

Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Bacon should be crispy and curling. 




 

Comments

Popular Posts